GIC Leadership Mastery Program
Frank Granara, CEO of GIC, believes in developing leaders. In fact, we’d go so far as to describe GIC as a “leadership development company that happens to sell insulation”.
After seeing the success the “Magical Mystery Tour” series had on his Vice Presidents, Frank decided he wanted to build the perfect GIC leadership model based on the Army’s approach called VUCA: volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity.
This VUCA model trains Soldier Leaders to:
- Anticipate and react to the nature and speed of change;
- Act decisively without always having clear direction and certainty;
- Navigate through complexity, chaos, and confusion; and
- Maintain effectiveness despite constant surprises and a lack of predictability.
Taking a page from the VP training manual outlined in the Beyond the Executive Comfort Zone book, this new program was based upon the same “Disruptive Training” model. The model physically puts participants in real situations pushing them outside of their comfort zone such as:
- Improvisation public speaking,
- Pushing physical limits through military boot camp type training, and
- Camping and hiking for seven days in the Colorado wilderness without toilet paper…
We looked for individuals with leadership aptitude.
After conducting a rigorous screening and interviewing process, we selected ten participants. We then immersed these high potential leaders into six outrageous sessions over 1½ years. They discovered each other’s weaknesses and strengths and ultimately used that knowledge to emerge as a high performing team.
Part of a leader’s responsibility is to teach.
We have asked each of the ten participants to reflect on their experience as they grew in four critical leadership areas:
- Understanding SELF
- Leading and Motivating a TEAM
- Understanding and Leading the BUSINESS
- Leading into the FUTURE
Over the next few weeks, we will be highlighting that learning through our new blog series, “Emerging Leaders Pushing Limits”. We’re confident you will enjoy reading, about their journey as you take their learning and apply it to yourself.
We Challenge you to Push your Limits.
Lorraine Grubbs and Rita Bailey
Subscribe to read the first post in this mini series. Until then, check out our website http://www.executivecomfortzone.com for more articles on how to motivate your team and information on how to purchase this book.
Follow us on Twitter (@ExecComfortZone), Instagram (@execcomfortzone), Facebook, and converse with other executives and industry leaders on LinkedIn (Group: Beyond the Executive Comfort Zone).